Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Glorious Second Mile

Dosthill Quarry, Tamworth - crystal clear water
Last year I wrote about getting beyond the second mile. I forgot the wonder of actually doing the second mile.

This year I've been struggling to get beyond a single mile. Life has been a pattern of busy, sick, busy, sick, busy - you can see the cycle of destruction.  And then there's been the English 21st century weather. Swimming in the rain is not a problem, swimming in the open in thunderstorms is not so sensible. And thunder and lightning has been predicted almost every day of the "summer." When I have been in the water, it's been time squeezed into other things.

Last night changed all that.
The evenings are long and light - so it did not matter I was in the water at 7pm and unsure what time I'd get out. The weather app said there might be thunderstorms locally - but not to the north.

And there was another attraction to the north. In all the lakes I've been in recently the water has been brown. It's been warm - but brown. There is only so much brown water your stomach can take. But to the north there is a quarry and the water is usually crystal clear.

What happens in the second mile? This is what it feels like. I struggled round the first mile, aching and ungainly, testing my breathing and my turning and my arms on every stretch. But by the second mile my arms and legs moved in harmony. The heart settled down to do what it needs to do. Energy reached the limbs, seemingly without their asking for it. The goggles were clear and stopped leaking. Swimming is automatic. I can enjoy the clarity, coolness and turbulence of the water, the lively cliff walls of the quarry and the sky above. I can even spend some time with my own thoughts.

And that's the first time this year I've been able to finish a mile, take a short breather and then set off on the adventure of the second mile.

It's the evening - and somewhere over the horizon it is raining. At the start of the swim the sun shines bright over the quarry edges, so bright that at one point it is blinding and I swim 50 yards turning my head to the right only. Then it dips and the surface of the water turns gold, reflective gold. I am swimming through gold. There is golden light through the trees on one side of the quarry.

And on the other side, in the blue sky above the high cliffs, there is a rainbow. A proper, semi-circular rainbow sitting in the sky. It's there for the best part of a lap.

And my movement is so fluent and so joyous I could be an aquatic animal. It feels like when you jump in the water and swim to a near by island, like being in clear, still tropical sea-water, like being among giant otters I saw on BBC4 the other night.

It was so glorious I could have carried on. I'd enjoyed a heron, a rainbow, a shoal of fish - but still no  sighting of the legendary pike. But why spoil a good night? I've not entered any long-distance events this year and I'd be struggling if I had. I got out after eight times round - two miles - with the sun setting over the edge of the quarry.

Jon Hunt

Beyond the Second Mile - last year's account

7 comments:

  1. Jitter Click Test is an estimator that is utilized to improve and figure your clicking speed. You can likewise utilize this program utilizing your mouse and even touchpad of your PC. You can likewise utilize this on your telephone by tapping on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pg slot 168 เป็นเกมแบบที่เล่นได้บนโทรศัพท์มือถือสบายใช้งานง่าย มีเกมสล็อตให้เล่นอยู่มากมายเยอะมากได้แก่ พีจีสล็อต สามารถใช้เป็นการพนันลงทุนเล่น เว็บไซต์สล็อตของการเล่นเกม

    ReplyDelete
  3. เครดิตฟรี เพียงสมัครเข้ามาเป็นสมาชิกที่เว็บไซต์ของพวกเราเพียงแค่นั้น pg รับฟรีไปเลยในทันที เอาไปใช้เล่นเกมได้จริง มีสิทธิ ลุ้นเครดิตฟรี ได้อีกทั้งสมาชิกเก่า และก็ สมาชิกใหม่

    ReplyDelete
  4. ดาวน์โหลดjoker การเข้าเล่นมีมากมายหลากหลายแนวทางสำหรับเว็บไซต์ Joker Gaming การเข้า พีจี เล่นค่ายเกมของพวกเรา ท่านสามารถเล่น ผ่านหน้าเว็บไซต์ ผ่านมือถือสามารถรองรับได้

    ReplyDelete
  5. slot wallet slotwallet เป็นเกมสล็อต ( pg slot )slot ที่มาแรง สร้างความระทึกใจให้กับผู้เล่นได้อย่างสม่ำเสมอ ด้วยการอัปเดตเกมใหม่ๆออกมาอยู่เรื่อยรวมมากยิ่งกว่า 200 เกม 2022

    ReplyDelete
  6. ทาง เข้า pg slot auto หรือ pg-slot.game เกมพีจีสล็อต pg สล็อตออนไลน์ 3 มิติ (pg slot auto) จากค่าย pg slot และ บาคาร่าออนไลน์ ที่มาในรูปแบบใหม่เป็นเกมส์ยอดนิยม

    ReplyDelete
  7. UFADEAL เว็บของพวกเราแจกจริงไม่ต้องฝาก ไม่ต้องแชร์  รับกันได้แบบฟรีๆ เพราะว่ามันเป็นสิ่งที่ช่วยทำให้คุณทำเงินได้ แบบเต็มๆเล่นได้ทุกเกมถอนได้จริงต้อง พีจีสล็อต เว็บนี้เท่านั้น

    ReplyDelete